The majority of Bolivian children have an average of six untreated cavities.
Second Year Results in Bolivia
In the second year of the program, the optometry and dentistry interventions took place at the Pucarani and Laja hospitals and the Palcoco and Curva health centres.
Volontaires sur le terrain
2 field missions
– 1 dentist
– 2 optometrists
– 6 dental care students
– 1 dental hygienist
– 1 interpreter and dietary technician
A total of 13 theoretical and practical training courses in dentistry and optometry made it possible for 42 professionals, i.e. 24 women and 18 men, to develop their skills.
– Patient management
– Dental product management
– Dental implants
– Ultrasonic scaling (Cavitron)
– Review of the ocular-vision examination steps
– Presentation on amblyopia and pediatric examination
– Presentation of clinical cases (interactive)
Screening and prevention
– Launch of a visual screening program with 94 children in 2 schools, in collaboration with the teachers
– Delivery of 2 visual acuity testing kits to the Pucarani hospital
– Delivery of 2 visual acuity testing kits to the Laja hospital
Review of guidelines for the management of biomedical waste in dentistry